Academy schools are set up by sponsors from businesses and are independently managed schools which jointly funds the land and buildings, they do still have very close links with the Local Education Authority, the government does still cover the running costs. Until a few years ago the only options open for young children leaving school was either to continue with their education or to leave school and try to find full time employment.Specialist schools; Children who have a statement of special educational needs (SEN) can and usually are educated in mainstream schools if the school has provisions that are suitable for that child, however children with SEN can also be educated in specialist schools. Special schools usually take children with particular types of special needs. The majority of a schools funding is provided by the department for education and skills (DFES) through the local education authority, however not all schools for pupils with SEN are maintained by the local authority and are funded by fees that are paid by the parents or charitable trust funds.